Tuesday, May 03, 2011
Justice Obtained for Spencer Kuvin's Client
In mid December 2008, Brian was under the care of National Mentor Healthcare, a long term care facility for people with Brian's condition. While at school one day, his feeding tube came out. The nursing staff at National Mentor then re-inserted the tube too far into Brian, causing it to perforate the wall of his stomach. Unfortunately, none of his caregivers recognized their fatal mistake. Over the next several days, Brian's condition started to deteriorate and he displayed signs of concern, including cries for pain and fever. The medical professionals tasked with his care and well being did not recognize the severity of his condition until it was too late. The perforation of his stomach led to sepsis and no life saving measures could save Brian.
Spencer Kuvin, a partner at Cohen & Kuvin, LLC represented the McQuillen family in a case against Brian's caregivers and doctors. Kuvin stated, "It is a tragedy to see a young man who fought to survive in society, lose his battle due to the negligence of individuals whose responsibility was to ensure his care. We delivered justice on behalf of Brian McQuillen, and hope his story serves as a wake up call to all caregivers to pay attention to their patients, as it could be the difference between life and death."